Wednesday, January 28, 2009

WHAT I HATE TODAY: Your daily dose of negative energy

Today I hate the girls' basketball team of Dallas Academy, who recently lost to The Covenant School 100-0.* Granted, only 20 girls attend Dallas Academy -- 8 of whom play on the varsity team -- and the team has not won a game in four years. But how do you fail to score in a basketball game? Even if you jack it up from halfcourt every time, it has to go in eventually, right? I am genuinely curious how this happened. Unfortunately, nobody seems to have posted a video of the game to YouTube.

* Yes, I also hate the coach at Covenant -- a Christian school! -- for running up the score on an obviously overmatched team. But I'm trying to be edgy here.

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps the following two statements will explain how they didn't score any points:

    1. ... renowned for its work with students with a variety of learning problems.

    2. Some on the eight-girl team had never played before and will never play again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also noticed these items in the article, and at first I thought the team was composed of disabled players. But then I watched the short video that accompanies the article, and the girls appeared to be physically and mentally able (if not terribly athletic).

    I know this post was mean-spirited, and I don’t really hate the Dallas Academy players. But I am sincerely amazed that it is possible to get shut out in a basketball game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not as amazed, I've seen me trying to play basketball. There's a reason why I'm a distance cyclist/skater, something about a total lack of hand-eye coordination.

    ReplyDelete