Friday, January 23, 2009

WHAT I HATE TODAY: Your daily dose of negative energy

Today I hate that buildings don't mark their 13th floors as such. I have found this to be remarkably silly since I was 10 years old and riding in a hotel elevator with my parents. "Why isn't there a button for the 13th floor?" I asked.

"Well, some people are superstitious," my dad said, "and they don't like to stay on the 13th floor because 13 is unlucky."

I stared in disbelief. "But there's still a 13th floor," I said. "It's just marked as the 14th floor! Does the bad luck stay away just because the doors say 14 instead of 13?"

I still feel this way. If we're going to be consistent about this, then we really ought to build an empty 13th floor into each building. Although I bet you could rent that space to companies that have been forced to cut corners for one reason or another, like the 7½ floor in Being John Malkovich.

No comments:

Post a Comment