Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Today's workout

Rode my bike to work, 22-mile round trip. Then to the Marriott for stairclimbing: 8 climbs of 20 flights each. I forgot the heart rate monitor, so no times or HR data. Tonight I started taking the elevator down after each climb instead of walking downstairs, which cuts the time between climbs from four minutes to two minutes, making the workout a little tougher. I also did three climbs where I single-stepped halfway, then bounded to the top -- real lung-roasters! Time 2:00.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure I believe that taking the elevator down makes the workout easier; coming down the stairs works the muscles in a different fashion then climbing does, but it does work them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might be right, Bryan. The main reason I started taking the elevator is because walking/jogging downstairs takes a toll on my knees and ankles -- those stairs are unforgiving concrete and steel. Running upstairs is low-impact, though.

    ReplyDelete