Thursday, January 1, 2009

First post

Welcome! This blog will serve as a personal journal and training log during my preparations to break the world record for the 24-hour inline skating time trial, as well as a dumping ground for the kind of thoughts that wander through one's head while skating thousands of miles by oneself.

The current world record -- that is, the highest world record claim that I know of, and the one listed in the Guinness Book of World Records -- stands at 337.773 miles, set in 2004 by Mauro Guenci of Italy. By comparison, I have skated in two 24-hour races in which I covered 267 miles (July 2007) and 315 miles (September 2008). However, I had some drafting help in those races; when I skate for the world record I will not be drafting at all.

I am calling my world record attempt the "Noon2nooN Race of Truth" because it will start at noon on one day and will end at noon the next day (duh), and because it is a time trial -- that is, no drafting allowed -- it will reveal if I really am the world's strongest 24-hour solo skater. I formatted "Noon2nooN" that way because I'm a dork who thinks it's neato that "noon" is a palindrome.

I think that's quite enough for now. I'll post more details about the event in the coming week.

No comments:

Post a Comment