Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Permission slip

I sent this email today to the manager of Denver Parks & Recreation:

My name is Lawrence Pelo, and I compete in ultradistance inline skating (what many people call rollerblading). This summer I will attempt to break the world record for the longest distance covered on inline skates in 24 hours. I would like to make this attempt at Washington Park -- I skate regularly there, I know every inch and wrinkle of its surface, and it is the best venue I know of for what I am trying to accomplish.

The only obstacle to skating 24 hours at Wash Park is that the park is officially closed between 11:00 PM and 5:00 AM. I am writing to you to ask for permission to skate at Wash Park during those hours. I would appreciate very much if I could receive that permission in writing, signed by the appropriate official or officials, to show to any police officers I might encounter while skating overnight.

This world record attempt will not be a race or an event in the normal sense, with many people participating. It will only involve me, skating alone, plus two crew members stationed in a parked vehicle. I have safely skated many miles at Wash Park at night; in any case, I will assume all risks and waive any liability to the city. My crew and I will not require additional restroom facilities and we will properly dispose of any trash. I will be skating at a safe speed (about 15 miles per hour), and -- as I have always done while skating thousands of laps at Wash Park -- I will interact safely with other park users. Other people will be fully able to enjoy the park during my world record attempt. In fact, I doubt that many of them will notice me at all; I will just be another guy skating laps. I do not need any accommodation from the city beyond permission to skate overnight.

I am very excited about achieving this goal and I look forward to working with the city to make it a reality. The written permission I’ve requested can be mailed to me at: Lawrence Pelo, 130 S. Ogden St. #307, Denver CO 80209. Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thank you for your time and for your help,

Lawrence Pelo

No comments:

Post a Comment