Monday, March 2, 2009

WHAT I HATE TODAY: Your daily dose of negative energy

Today I hate that there are no major sports teams -- that is: MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL -- nicknamed the Dragons. I can’t even think of a big-time college team called the Dragons. The only Dragons team I can think of is the San Francisco Dragons, a Major League Lacrosse franchise that folded last year. How is this possible? What mascot could be cooler than a serpentine, fire-spewing dragon? The jerseys would be The Awesome!

While I’m at it, why the shortage of sports teams named after mythical creatures of any species? I can think of these offhand: NY Giants, SF Giants, Tennessee Titans, LA Angels, NJ Devils, Washington Wizards… and that’s it. Did we really need for the NBA’s newest team to take the bo-ring name Bobcats, or for the transplanted Sonics to take the idiotic singular name Thunder, when there are names available like the Cyclops, the Centaurs, the Griffins, the Ghosts, the Phantoms, and the Monsters? Women’s teams could be the Medusas (really the Gorgons, I guess), the Furies, or the Sirens. C’mon, marketing departments of major league sports franchises -- how about some creativity?

1 comment:

  1. You have an excellent point. What I hate are the sport teams named after something difficult to turn into a mascot... if you've seen the mascot for the Colorado Rapids, you would see why. The worst offenders appear to be American soccer teams: New England Revolution, Houston Dynamo, San Jose Earthquakes...

    ReplyDelete