Tuesday, April 14, 2009

An announcement

So. I haven't posted What I Hate Today for a couple of days because I've decided to stop doing it. I have a lot of important stuff to post regarding the world record attempt, and I haven't gotten around to posting it because I've been obsessed with babbling, every day, about my disdain for sauerkraut, or guys who surreptitiously flex their abs while removing their shirts in the gym locker room, or the number 8.

More importantly, I'm quitting WIHT because the negativity of dwelling on what I dislike in life -- every day -- has started to weigh on my soul. I've even been carrying around a little notebook so that when I think of something I hate, I can write it down and post it as a WIHT item later. Which reminds me of something I read a while back: apparently multiple studies in the field of positive psychology have demonstrated that people who spend time every day writing down, and thinking about, the things they are thankful for in life, tend to grow happier over time. If that's true, what would happen to the happiness of a man who spent time every day writing down, and thinking about, the things he hates?

So I'm going to spend the rest of week posting new information about the world record attempt, and then I hope to get around to some other kind of daily non-WR-related posting, maybe What I Love Today or some such. It will be interesting to see if it's harder to make funnies while writing about The Awesome.

5 comments:

  1. I second that. Sounds like the yoga is working. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I like the idea of the positive. Looking forward to it.
    Christine :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you're really thinking, "What Would Buddha Do?" I have to admit, I look forward to your Positive Friday posts more than the WIHT posts. Sometimes, I would say in my mind, I bet Lawrence's real WIHT is, "I wish my girlfriend would stop freaking out about bed bugs" or something like that... I support this move.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So basically what you're saying is what you hate today is "What I Hate Today." Very meta.

    ReplyDelete